Dr Rob Aitken BA, BSc (Hons), PhD, FIoN
Rob has worked at the IOM for more than 35 years and has been a member of IOM's management board for more than 12 years. In addition to his role in Singapore, he is Director of Strategic Consulting at IOM and he leads IOM's work programme on nanotechnology risk which currently encompasses SAFENANO, more than ten major European Commission FP7 framework projects and a series of major public reviews for Government Agencies. His main scientific interests are in exposure and risk assessment of fine particles and he has contributed more than 50 publications on these issues.
He is on the advisory board of several industrial, academic and government organisations including the Institute of Nanotechnology (ION) and the Integrated Nano-science and Commodity Exchange (INSCX). In addition he has been Principal UK Expert on Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) issues to ISO 299 Nanotechnologies and a member of OECD Working Party on Nanomaterials. He was until recently a Member of the European Commission, Nanotechnologies, Materials and new Production Technologies Program Expert Advisory Group. He holds the title of Honorary Professor at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh.
Current and recent work includes:
- RIP-oN2 - Specific Advice on Fulfilling Information Requirements for Nanomaterials under REACH, Service Contract for the European Commission, Director and Project Leader
- RIP-oN3 - Specific Advice on Exposure Assessment and Hazard/Risk Characterisation for Nanomaterials under REACH, Service Contract for the European Commission, Project Director
- NANOfutures, European Technology and Innovation Platform, Leader of Safety Node and member of the management board
- Observatorynano, European Observatory for Nanotechnologies, EC FP7, Leader of the EHS workpackage and member of management board
- Guide to safe handling and disposal of nanoparticles, (BS 6699-2), Project Leader
- Nanotechnologies - Guidelines for occupational risk management applied to engineered nanomaterials - Part 1: Principles and approaches (ISO TS 12901-1), Project Leader
Contact Rob Aitken - firstname.lastname@example.org