Making our website accessible is an aim of IOM. We try to adhere to web standards and ensure that our website is usable with a broad range of operating systems, browsers, and specialist assistive technologies.
As a standard, we employ all the following methods to ensure our site is accessible to as many people as possible:
- All pictures have an alternative text description
- Our site has been designed without the use of tables except where we need to represent normally tabulated content i.e timetables
- The website can be navigated without the use of a mouse
- A non-serif font is used for easier readability
- We use a hierarchy of heading markups i.e an <h1> tag for main headings, <h2> for secondary headings etc which makes it easier for screen readers to work out the stucture of a page
- Our site can be viewed in a logical order when all styling is turned off